Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Water

Yesterday was all about water.

I watched some of the Olympic swimming before work. Then at lunch I was inspired so I went out and bought a new wetsuit. I think my shoulders have grown, time to retire the old suit. Or just save it for occasional swims in the pool. :)

After work, I caught more Olympic swimming. I watched Michael Phelps get ANOTHER gold medal. Go Michael!! On his website, he is nicknamed the "Pool Shark". After watching and reading about Michael and other swimmers (Keith included), how they visualize and even create nicknames to inspire themselves, I'm wondering about this mental part of swimming, a part I've never considered before. Perhaps instead of stressing about the swim for the entire length of it, I need to focus on something fun and on my technique. Perhaps, like Michael Phelps and like Keith, I need a swimming nickname. Shark just does not fit my uber slow pace and turtle just does nothing to inspire. :) Maybe jellyfish?? lol

So I took all of these thoughts with me to the pool last night and tried them on for size. I swam no faster but it was a welcome distraction to let my mind drift off a bit. :)

Got to get in the open water this week to try out the new suit and name!

More later...

Leaha

2 comments:

Keith said...

Where are you doing your open water swims?

It's unbelievable how much of swimming is mental. The first time I broke a 20 min Km last summer was all out, practically into the retaste zone. The next time, just a couple days later, was a relaxed affair, and was nearly 30 seconds faster. My body sure hadn't changed that much, it was mental.

Subtle body position, stroke mechanics make so much difference, and the only way to improve them is to be totally tuned into how the water feels flowing past your body.

Just being consistent and smooth drops your times and even more importantly, decreases the effort involved. Less effort means less breathing and a lower heart rate, all good things.

Whatever mental games you play to help you be smooth will help. Honestly, I mentally picture a shark swimming along, smooth, almost lazy looking, but with the ferocity inherent in the system to deal with people that crowd my space. (Come see the violence inherent in the system, help, help, I'm being repressed!)

Next time you're at the pool, look for someone in the fast lane swimming fast. Look for someone that isn't making much of a splash, and doesn't look like they're working too hard. Count their strokes. They are probably under 20 strokes per 25 m length. Once you find someone like that, watch them! You'll learn so much.

I've started watching runners the way I used to watch swimmers. Got to be a bit careful, don't want people thinking that you're a perv!

Leaha said...

Hi Keith,

I'm hoping to swim in lake Chapparel tomorrow night with Greg's group. Otherwise, not much this season.

Great swim tips, thanks so much. I am just starting to understand that there is a mental part to swimming. I think I've been trying too hard in the wrong way, if that makes any sense. :)

Every time I learn something new about swimming, I realize again how little I know! lol

Leaha