Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Simon Whitfield, 10.5KM and the Muskoka 70.3

Wow, what a race last night! I thought it was all over for Simon. By the last lap, he was pretty far behind the lead three runners. Just as my heart sank for him, he picked up his speed! In 30 + degree heat! He caught up to the group. My heart leapt and I hoped he might earn a bronze. Then in the last 600-700 m, he started to sprint! He took the lead and I was on my feet yelling at the television. The German athlete had more left and sprinted past Simon. And there he was, our pride and joy of triathlon with the silver medal. What an inspiration he is. Coming back from injury and worse, he had lost faith and desire; he had lost his love of the sport. But he won it back, he won us back. Love that guy! :)

Complete subject change: It's interesting, I've read some race reports of Lake Chaparral where people mentioned that the run was longer than the advertised 9K. One guy measured it and found the distance to be 10.5KM. If so, this makes me quite happy as that means I was 6:55 per K rather than 8+! Still slow but that makes much more sense to me, so I'm sticking with that!! lol

I've also heard some interesting reports of the bike course on the upcoming Muskoka 70.3 from Ontario friends. Apparently several people have ridden the course and have decided not to do the race. One woman went to Lisa Bentley and asked her how she could design such a tough bike course and claimed that neither she nor her bike were capable of doing those climbs. Another stated that the course is much harder than Lake Placid. Hmmm... I also found out that the course is 94K rather than 90. So, all of that in mind, I am going out this Saturday on Lockend and 567. I'm going to ride back and forth until I've completed 100KM. :) Then Sunday I'm going to swim 2.5KM and run for two hours. Hey, I may be slower than I'd hoped but I still think I can complete this race.

Onward and upward. :)

Leaha

No comments: