Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Lake Placid - Recapitulation

Well, I returned from Lake Placid last night. We left at 6:30am and as usual it was so hard to leave. The sun was just coming up and the mist was rising over Mirror Lake and the mountains. I managed to take about 120 pictures yesterday morning. Hopefully some turned out. I will post a link to them shortly.

The weather was very wet this year. On race day it started raining just after 7am and did not really stop until about 10pm. We all thought this would make the course even more challenging for the athletes, but of course they are not your typical group of people. They are always inspiring but even more this year. I saw my swim coach, Jill, out on the course a few times. I peeled her wetsuit, which was great. She looked very strong on the run and had a big smile on her face. :)

Rich, Karen and I rode the course on Saturday. What a great time we had. It was my first 90K ride and I was pleasantly surprised. We took about 4 hours to complete it as we were riding cautiously. My legs were not really sore, although my body was fatigued! Special thanks to Rich as he was very informative, patient and waited for Karen and I. We also swam the course in Mirror Lake. I had a great swim, it took 52 minutes and again we took it easy. Otherwise, we walked at least 10K per day. It rained much of the time so we did not get in as much training as I would have liked. However, now that I'm home, it's back to the schedule.

Thanks to Pat, Wendy and Karen. It's always a pleasure to spend time at Lake Placid with you. Oh and thanks to Rich as well. He was an honorary “Dame of Lake Placid” for a few days. I am sure he’ll need a shot of testosterone to recover from the few days spent with four women that kept threatening to “wax” him. :)

One final note on Lake Placid this year. I have always felt a draw to sign up for the race. However it always seemed too unattainable. Not this year. This year I feel like I can do this. I know it won't be easy, but I want to complete an Ironman. I want to hear those words as I cross the finish line. Not just in my dreams, as the dream is now becoming the goal.

More later…:)

Leaha

No comments: